Infant Dies After Parents Lose Legal Fight for Sustained Life Support


A terminally ill infant died after his parents lost legal fight to continue his life support, on April 29, 2018.

The 23-month-old British boy, Alfie Evans, died after his parents lost their legal fight to continue his life support. His parents lost their court appeal against a ruling that prevented them from going to Rome for their son’s treatment, following high-profile interventions in the case from the Pope and the Italian government.

The toddler was suffering from a rare neurological disease, and survived for a day after his ventilator support removed was removed.

Mr. Evans posted on Facebook: “My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings at 02:30 absolutely heartbroken. I LOVE YOU MY GUY”

His parents wanted to move the kid from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital to Italy where doctors were willing to treat him. Pope Francis also intervened in the case, saying on Twitter that he “hoped the parents’ desire to seek new forms of treatment may be granted”.

Government of Italy also was ready to grant the boy has citizenship and kept an Italian defense ministry medical evacuation plane on standby for Evans to fly to Italy.

High Court judge, Anthony Hayden rejected claims by parents that baby Evans was significantly better since doctors first withdrew life support on Monday. He said the best they could hope for was to explore the options of removing the boy from intensive care either to a ward, a hospice or his home. He rejected another appeal for a delay in order to give the parents time to present a new challenge.

The ruling allowed doctors to withdraw treatment, after which the infant lost his life. British law states that parents “cannot demand a particular treatment to be continued where the burdens of the treatment clearly outweigh the benefits for the child”. In cases where healthcare professionals and parents of terminally ill children do not reach an agreement, the high court intervenes.